Periods and Perimenopause: The Cycle Continues ........

Disclaimer: I am not a medical expert.  Please consult with your doctor.  This blog/post is written from my own personal experience.  Again please consult with your doctor.  Please keep this in mind while reading this blog post. 



                I started my cycle at 12 years old.  I never had a normal cycle like other girls.  
From the very beginning I have always had very heavy and irregular cycles.  I was diagnosed with PCOS and at one point endometriosis (sounds familiar right?).  It wasn't until I was 29 that I was diagnosed with a fibroid and had to have surgery to have it removed.  I was told by my gynecologist at that time that if I wanted children I should look into fertility treatments.  Due to me never marrying I never had children (that will be another story to tell for a later time).  

                After my surgery the heaviness and flow of my cycle was better but they were still a little irregular.  Even with birth control it was still a little irregular.  I was just happy to have a 'normal' cycle.  If you ever had a fibroid you know about the pain, discomfort, extreme anemia, and bleeding everywhere all the time.  I took the little joy of normalcy and lived with it ..... until perimenopause happened.  

                Now every woman have different experiences with their cycle during perimenopause.  For me, the crazy part was when I entered perimenopause my cycles became REGULAR!  For the first time in my life I was 'normal'.  I could literally predict my cycles.  I finally was one of God's favorites ....... yea right!  

                But something shifted with my cycles once I entered perimenopause.  I noticed before my cycle started my mood(s) were ALL OVER THE PLACE!  I would literally burst out crying for no reason at all.  I had very dark thoughts and my anxiety was through the roof.  And let's not mention the anger .... I mean like violent anger; if someone wanted me to commit a crime before my cycle came on, trust me I would be down for the cause.  Also on the first day or two of my cycles I would have very bad cramps and extreme bloating.  

                I needed help with my symptoms and understanding perimenopause.  I started getting into podcast and started watching and following The Oprah Podcast.  I literally had my awakening while watching an episode of her podcast called: 
Menopause 101 https://youtu.be/wvOTHYfrsRw?is=hywTwcdP3GAp2Rpb.  I didn't feel alone and she had a very educated and knowledgeable expert on the podcast, Dr. Sharon Malone, she is the author of Grown Woman Talk https://amzn.to/3US4ca0.  During the episode they discussed symptoms and possible remedies.  Dr. Sharon Malone broke down peri/menopause and how it affects the female body.  One remedy that was suggested by Dr. Malone was birth control.  I forgot all about how birth control regulates hormone levels.  I remember taking birth control when I was younger to help 'regulate' my cycle, I totally forgot how helpful it is with hormones.  

                    The episode featured several women describing their symptoms and treatment(s).  She also mentioned how so many women are misdiagnosed and prescribed several medications to treat multiple symptoms. Some women were on several medications and only needed birth control to solve their problem(s).  Also husbands/partners were on the episode discussing the changes they saw in their in their loved one and getting advice on how to help the women in their lives cope and get the right medical treatment.  

                    That episode really kept my attention (that says a lot for us perimenopause girls 😂) and I couldn't ignore the helpful information that was talked about.   I felt a sigh of relief after watching that episode.  I implore you to watch that episode and to buy Dr. Malone's book.  As women we are ignored and dismissed by the medical community, don't give up!  You know your body better than anyone.  If you are not getting the answers or help you need please seek another opinion.  Your are not being over dramatic or difficult, you are woman trying to get help to make it to the next day. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Thumb Therapy: How plants and perimenopause go together