Green Thumb Therapy: How plants and perimenopause go together
For many years I have always read and heard how plants and being outdoors can be a positive boost for mental health. Perimenopause can impact a woman's mental health in a devastating way. Women battle depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc. during perimenopause. According to The Greater Boston Behavioral Health https://greaterbostonbehavioralhealth.com/rehab-blog/impact-of-plants-on-mental-health-and-productivity/ the psychological benefits of plants include:
2. Improved Mood
3. Enhanced Cognitive Function
4. Increased Creativity
The positive impact plants have on mental health is astounding! The benefits of being outdoors and loving and growing nature can enhance someone's outlook on life. One of the many mood changes during perimenopause is having really dark thoughts, being with nature can lighten your mind/mood. Plants create a sense of community and connection. It will bring a woman going through hormonal changes out of isolation. You won't feel alone with plants because you will have something to nurture and grow. Watching a plant go from seed/seedling to a full mature plant is so special. It gives you a new sense of purpose and positive outlook on life.
I discovered my love for plants during the pandemic. It was suggested to me by my late sister in law (Devin Walker). At first I wasn't enthused about getting my hands dirty, but since we were in lock-down I gave it a try and I instantly fell in love 😍 Not only did I get into house plants, but I got into gardening too! When i entered into perimenopause plants were my therapy. When I faced my tragic financial loss, my plants represented something I owned and cherished. I became a part of a plant family/community and joined groups on social media and started my own page called:
Plant Lady Daisy https://www.facebook.com/share/1PJnXMzNwN/?mibextid=wwXIfr. I also wrote a short E-book titled:
The Plant Lady Side Hustle Blueprint https://amzn.to/4zmgEyQ
I honed my skills with plants and gardening and became an expert at growing Fiddle Leaf Plants. Fiddle leafs are notoriously loathed in the plant community for being fickle. Through trial and error I mastered a way of growing and maintaining them. I nicknamed myself the fiddle leaf fairy🧚. Here is a pic of one of my 2 fiddle leafs below:
Being a plant mom gave me a deeper sense of purpose and help me maintain my mental health through one of the hardest challenges of my life. Whenever I am around my plants I can literally feel the stress and anxiety leave my body. Playing in the dirt really is fun 😁 Plants really help calm me during some of my worst moods during perimenopause. Sometimes when I get so angry and upset I literally go outside and tend to my plants for hours. When I come back inside the house I have more clarity and peace.
If you want to use plants/gardening as part of your perimenopause journey here a few tips:
2. Join a plant group online/in person ( you will have a stronger sense of community
and family). Always remember we are stronger together!
3. Don't go over budget (just buy the basics like: potting soil, planter pot, garden gloves)
4. Give yourself grace you will make mistakes
5. Enjoy the journey of watching what your hands can grow!
3. Don't go over budget (just buy the basics like: potting soil, planter pot, garden gloves)
4. Give yourself grace you will make mistakes
5. Enjoy the journey of watching what your hands can grow!
When the subject of plants and gardening come up I can talk for hours about this topic. Talking about plants/gardening have improved my communication skills and it kinda makes me feel pretty good about being an 'expert' 😏 Please try plants during your hormonal journey. The benefits are endless! Trust me you will thank me later. You are not alone in this journey the power of a green plant can really change your life.
Because I am such a proud plant mom, I have several pics of my plant babies and garden below:
My elephant ear they get HUGE!
My split leaf Philodendron they get soo big!
My Alocasia also an elephant ear plant
My Brussels Sprouts I grew from seeds!
My mustard's that I also grew from a seed!
My monstera, just call me monstera mama 😉
Another pic of my monstera after a re-potting








Comments
Post a Comment