Pretty in Perimenopause
Disclaimer: I am not a licensed cosmetologist or dermatologist please consult with you hair/skin care expert.
As I write this post I look back at my youth and get a little bothered. I remember not having any problems with dairy, hair growth, or facial hair. There is a saying that all good things must come to an end, but is that really true? We live in a world were being young and beautiful is celebrated, the idea of being 'forever young' is a narrative that is being pushed on women on a daily. Beauty doesn't fade it reinvents itself.
For the girls in the 40 and up crew do you remember what your twenties were like? Stop focusing on the physical, I am talking about the mental, spiritual, and emotional aspects. Some of you became mothers and wives before you knew who you were as a woman. Some of you experienced so much pain and trauma that looking back may cause a setback.
Now that you have had a moment of reflection let's talk about the here and now. I am 47 I would not want the 27 year old me at all! I remember being in the ring race (marriage before 30), body count police, dumbing down, being emotionally immature, and the list goes on and on. I didn't know who I was as a woman, didn't know my power, my leadership, or my authority as woman. In my opinion marriage and child birth is heavily forced on women when we are younger because we don't know who we really are.
As we grow from girlhood to womanhood we gain clarity, strength, and peace of mind. I stopped that ring race right before I turned 30. I looked at all the things I was doing to 'prepare' myself for being a wife/mother versus what the men were doing ....
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! The world does not apply the same pressure to men, no one is telling men to prepare themselves for fatherhood or being a husband. No one is monitoring their bodies or behavior. That is why we have a bunch of 'prepared' women and ill-equipped men, but I will digress from this topic, you get it.
Growing into womanhood requires aging. We can not get around it. We all have to go through it. But here is the catch ....... its HOW YOU DO IT! When I was younger my mother planted the seed and demonstrated a lifestyle of a woman aging gracefully. She didn't go with every fashion trend, she kept her beauty regimen simple, and her makeup skills can rival any current makeup artist. She always told me that 'less is more'. She gave me great advice on skincare, hair care, and vitamins. Aging gracefully is the quintessential definition of beauty reinventing itself.
I am no longer trying to be 'that girl' I am trying to be 'that woman' and it is a beautiful thing 😍. We have to put away childish thinking and being. I am not saying for you to walk around looking homely and being a prude. We are the new generation of 'older' women, we must set the example for the younger generation of women that it gets greater later. We have to embody womanhood at every level (not just in our youth). Younger women are not our competition but we are their womanhood companion/guide. We must lead them by being the example of what it means to be a woman. WE ARE THE TRENDSETTERS!
I can't end this post without giving you some of my mothers and my own personal beauty tips for the aging gracefully woman. They are (not any kind of order):
Hair Care: This is geared towards black women's hair
2. Cecred Restoring Hair Edge Drops https://cecred.com/products/restoring-hair-edge-drops
3. Mary Ruth Thicker Hair Formula https://amzn.to/4glrZrr
4. Bronner Brothers Super Grow Hair Grease (gotta go old school!) https://amzn.to/4zDn9NK
5. Design Essentials Rosemary Mint Conditioner and shampoo https://amzn.to/4ixgTRp
Skincare: This is for my 40 and up crew
1. Castor Oil (great moisturizer) https://amzn.to/4qOjLM8
2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil https://amzn.to/4gyYyAR
4. Aveeno Daily Body Wash https://amzn.to/4cfcmPN
6. Eucerin Lotion https://amzn.to/3Sblu1e
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Comments
Post a Comment